ITGOA began its journey in November 1933 from the historic city of Kanpur. It was a difficult time in the history of India. It was a challenging time for us too. With undaunted spirit we put our heads and hands together for the following common objectives:
- To uphold the dignity of our service
- To foster a spirit of cooperation and "espirit de corps" among our members
- To promote and safeguard the common interest of our members
- To move for the redressal of legitimate grievances of our members concerning pay, promotion, career prospects, status, service conditions, retirement benefits etc.
- To work in coordination with similar service associations if necessary
- To forward interest of our members without bias of caste, creed and religion
Initially this was a federative body of the associations at the State level, and was named as "All India Federation of Income Tax Gazetted Services Associations." After the promulgation of the Recognition of Service Association Rules 1993, by the Govt. of India, the name of our association was first changed to "Income Tax Gazetted Services Federation (ITGSF) and subsequently to the present name of "Income Tax Gazetted Officers Association (ITGOA)". The revised Recognition Rules necessitated change of our structure too, from a federative body to a unitary body. Presently our Association has 18 units all over India.
They are: 1. Andhra Pradesh 2. Bihar & Jharkhand 3. Delhi 4. Gujarat 5. Karnataka & Goa 6. Kerala 7. Madhya Pradesh & Chattisgarh 8. Mumbai 9. Nagpur 10. North Eastern Region (Assam, Meghalaya, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Mizoram, Manipur, Tripura) 11. North Western Region (Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir) 12. Orissa 13. Pune 14. Rajasthan 15. Tamil Nadu & Pondicherry 16. U P East 17. U P West and 18. West Bengal
Our Association has a democratic set-up, which has already stood the test of 39 Biennial General Body Meetings in our 75 years of existence. Ours is a history of struggle for the common good. With overwhelming support of around 8500 members we can be hopeful of a better and stronger future of our Association.